General Weather Policies
- During extreme cold weather or severe weather storm conditions, we recommend that parents remind their children of possible vehicle (bus) breakdown or delays. Parents are advised to exercise their own discretion as to how long a pupil should wait for a school bus in inclement weather. Parents should have a back-up plan in place to allow for unforseen circumstances.
- If inclement weather prevents buses from doing their morning routes, parents who choose to transport their children to school must be prepared to pick up their children at the end of the school day.
- Radio announcements will begin no later than 7 am in the event of cancellation of school bus operations and/or closing of schools due to inclement weather.
- It is the parent’s ultimate decision and responsibility as to whether or not a child should be sent to school during inclement weather.
Cancellation of School Bus Operation due to Inclement Weather
All schools will remain open. If a bus route or transportation has been cancelled for the morning run, the bus is cancelled for the whole day. Parents will be responsible for the return transportation for any student dropped off at school.
All Day Bus Cancellation
- The designated bus operators will report before 4:30 a.m. to the Executive Director of the Sudbury Student Services Consortium.
- The Executive Director/designate will contact the Directors of Education or designates.
- The Executive Director/designate will inform the media of the school cancellation as follows:
For the District of Sudbury/Espanola/Massey
CJTK 95.5 FM
Q92 / Kiss 105.3 FM
For the District of Manitoulin / Elliot Lake
Q92 / Kiss 105.3
CKNR (Elliot Lake)
CFRM (Little Current)
Emergency Closings (throughout the day) due to Inclement Weather
Inclement weather conditions sometimes occur after students have arrived at school. A decision to remain in school or to dismiss early will be made in consultation with the Directors of Education. Should a decision be that buses will leave early, the schools will be responsible for contacting parents.
The Executive Director/designate will:
- inform the Director of Education who will notify the principals;
- call the bus operators affected;
- inform the media;
A storm pamphlet containing information for parents for inclimate weather is available here.
Questions and Answers Relating to Inclement Weather
Questions and answers for parents regarding inclimate weather is available here.